The City provides street sweeping service to all public streets in an effort to maintain a healthy, safe, and clean environment for our community. The sweeper's job is to pick up litter and debris that are deposited along the roadway as well as in gutter areas.
Street sweeping supports our efforts to comply with the Federal Clean Water Act and to conform to the National Pollutants Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)'s Best Management Practice to protect our storm drain system.
Frequency of Service
During the months of February through October, every public street within the city is swept at least once a month. During Storm Season from November through January, each street is swept twice a month. The extra sweeps help prevent flooding by keeping gutters and drains flowing smoothly.
Sign up for reminders so you can receive notifications when street sweeping service will occur in your neighborhood.
Dos & Don'ts
We appreciate your help in keeping Citrus Heights streets clean and free of litter and debris! Here are a few tips to help get the most from our street sweeping work:
- DON'T - rake or blow leaves into the street. Piles can clog gutters and drains, and may result in flooding during heavy rains. Sweepers are also not designed to pick up large piles of leaves. (Piles also become road hazards)
- DO - use your green waste or composting containers for leaf recycling. During Storm Season, residents can place up to six 30 gallon trash bags full of leaves (each bag not to exceed 35 pounds) out next to their green waste carts for collection.
- DO - keep lawns, driveways, streets and sidewalks clear of leaves.
- DO - keep trees and shrubs trimmed so that they do not obstruct the sweeper.
- DO - keep basketball hoops out of the street and gutters.
- DO - make parking arrangements that won't interfere with the sweepers' ability to perform their routes.
If you want to know when to expect the street sweeper in your neighborhood, click on the map below or contact us at 916-727-4770 or email Street Sweeping.