Business & Multifamily Recycling Program
State law Assembly Bill (AB) 939 requires that 50% of the waste generated in Citrus Heights be diverted away from landfills. There are 3 ways to accomplish this:
- Source Reduction - a preventive approach; reducing the amount of waste generated in the first place
- Recycling - using materials and products that are recyclable, and recycling them instead of throwing them in the trash
- Compost Programs
Under state law AB 341, businesses generating 4 cubic yards or more of commercial garbage per week must arrange for recycling services with on of the City's franchised commercial haulers.
Additionally, multi-family properties with five or more units must arrange for recycling services.
Beginning January 1, 2022, all businesses will be required to subscribe to recycling services under state law Senate Bill (SB) 1383.
As of July 1, 2020, AB 827 requires all businesses (except full-service restaurants) to provide organics and recycling bins at the front-of-the-house to collect food scraps and recycling.
Citrus Heights Municipal Code
The City of Citrus Heights adopted the requirements of AB 341, AV 827, and SB 1383 into its Municipal Code (No. 2020-008) on September 10, 2020.
Implement a Recycling and Organics Program in 4 Easy Steps
- Contact your waste hauler. The easiest way to comply with the state and city requirements is to contact your waste-hauling company to sign up for commercial recycling and /or organics collection services.
- Get Outdoor Bins for Recyclables and Organics. Your waste hauler will provide you with outdoor containers for your recyclables and organics, which will look similar to your trash container(s).
- Set Up Indoor Containers and Signs. You will need to place indoor collection containers and signs for collecting recyclables and organics generated at your place of business.
- Educate Your Employees. Educated employees are the key to a successful organics recycling program. Please make sure your employees know how to properly separate garbage, recycling, and organics into the correct bins prior to collection.
Alternative Compliance and Exemptions
You may request an exemption if your business meets certain conditions. If you think your business qualifies for exemption or is compliance through alternate means, please submit an Alternative Service Compliance and Exemption form. You can access the Alternative Compliance and Exemption form here.
Reasons for alternative compliance or exemption may include, but are not limited to:
- Receiving service from different garbage collector and recycling collector (garbage from one hauler and recycling from a different hauler)
- Lack of sufficient space for storage of additional recycling bins on your property.
- Self-haul for recycling processing
The City is working on an agreement with the County of Sacramento Environmental Management Department (EMD) to conduct business recycling and organic waste recycling education and inspections beginning in April 2021 at businesses already routinely inspected by EMD in Citrus Heights for hazardous materials/hazardous waste and for health inspections at restaurants/food facilities.
This proposal to “couple” recycling inspections with existing EMD hazardous materials and environmental health inspections is designed to lessen the impact to businesses by saving both money and time:
- No additional fees for organic waste and recycling inspections
- No additional inspections by another agency for organics and recycling inspections
Recycling inspections take approximately 15 minutes. During the inspections, EMD inspectors will confirm that each facility has recycling services in place, as required by AB 341 (business recycling) and AB 1826 (organics waste recycling) and will educate the operator to help ensure that recyclables are properly separated and managed, that there is proper signage, and that employees are properly trained regarding commercial recycling requirements.
For those businesses not currently within an EMD inspection program, the City will provide inspection services using existing or contract staff.