City Strategic Plan
Since incorporation, Citrus Heights has emphasized strategic planning to prioritize its policies, programs, and services for the coming year. The City Council, City Manager, and executive staff members participate in the goal and objective-setting process no less than annually.
It is the responsibility of the City Manager to oversee the implementation of the Strategic Plan, coordinating with the city's operating departments and divisions.
At the beginning of 2022, as the community emerged from the COVID-19 pandemic and associated health orders, city leadership and executive staff facilitated even more aggressive strategic planning processes that ensured focus on community priorities and effective stewardship of one-time American Rescue Plan Act funding. The result was an additional layer of strategic planning informed by community engagement data with 48 recommendations to advance community priorities in four categories: Community Image, Economic Development, Community Connection, and Infrastructure. The document, referenced as the Focus Area Work Plan, is intended to provide clarity of mission over the remaining three-year term strategic goals and American Rescue Plan Act funding allocation requirements.
June 2023 Strategic Planning Documents:
- Strategic Planning Background Memo & Recommendations June 2023 (PDF)
- Focus Area Work Plan Objectives Matrix June 2023 (PDF)
- City Council Strategic Planning Objectives June 2023 - March 2024 (PDF)
The City Council held the Strategic Planning Retreat on June 15, 2023 where they reviewed the prior six-month planning period and Focus Area Work Plan progress and discussed the next nine-month strategic planning objectives for the period of June 2023 to March 2024. The City Council adopted the strategic planning objectives at the July 13, 2023 council meeting.
May 2022 Strategic Planning Documents:
- Strategic Planning Background Memo & Recommendations May 2022 (PDF)
- Focus Area Work Plan Appendices May 2022 (PDF)
- City Council Strategic Planning Objectives May 2022 - November 2022 (PDF)
The Focus Area Work Plan was adopted at the subsequent council meeting on May 26, 2022, as a guiding document for the remaining term of current strategic goals.
The City Council held the next strategic planning retreat on October 25, 2022 to review progress on overall strategic objectives and advancement of the Focus Area Work Plan and set the next phase of objectives. City staff also gave a progress report on implementation and success metrics achieved thus far at the meeting.
November 2022 Strategic Planning Documents:
- Strategic Planning Background Memo Update October 2022 (PDF)
- Focus Area Work Plan Matrix Tracker October 2022 (PDF)
- City Council Strategic Planning Objectives for November 2022 - May 2023 (PDF)
For more information on the city's Strategic Plan, contact the City Manager's Office at 916-725-2448.